Because I lived in Aix-en-Provence- a 20 minute drive north of Marseille- I was able to spend ample time in Marseille.
Here's a list of some of my favorite things to do there:
- Walk around the old port and stop in some of the shops
- Sit at a cafe on the port and have an espresso, glass of wine or a beer
- Visit one of the many museums- Mucem is one of my favorites
- Visit one of the many churches- especially the one on the top of the hill
- Go to a beach
- Swim in the Mediterranean sea. When I did it, it was FREEZING!! But also worth it.
- Hike the Calanques- I spent a whole day hiking the Calanques in Marseille. The views were breathtaking
- Take a tour of the city- it's incredibly historical and cool. When I went on my tour I learned that the last beheading by guillotine was in 1977 (And no, that's not a typo).
- If warm, take a boat ride to Chateau D'If
- Visit Fort Saint-John
- Eat lunch or dinner at a cafe on the port. Try the moules-frites
- Get gelato- it's always a good idea.